Health Care in Germany

Health Care in Germany

Health Care in Germany

General Information

In the case of an illness or a health problem your general practitioner (GP) or pediatric doctor is concerned in the first place He or she decides on assuming the treatment themselves or consulting a specialist. If you have not contacted a GP so far, we advise you to ask a neighbor or colleague, as they might recommend someone in the near.

The GP can refer you to specialist (such as a gynecologist or gastroenterologist). Meanwhile it is also possible to directly contact a specialist.

The GP or specialist will also decide if hospital treatment is advisable. In an emergency case you will of course be treated there without a referral: The "ZNA" (Zentrale Notaufnahme/Accident and Emergency) is available 24/7. In every hospital belonging to the Contilia Group the ZNA is located near the main entrance.

Doctors and dentists form the medical health care professions. Among the non-medical professions you will e.g. find physiotherapists, speech therapists, nurses or midwives.

The Contilia hospitals carry out treatment for patients who are insured in the statutory or in a private health care scheme, and also direct payers. In addition, you will find numerous specialist offices in the proximity of our premises.


Throughout your pregnancy you are cared for by a gynecologist. Unless medical problems have come up, you will only receive hospital care for childbirth. Please register some time before the delivery date at the Elisabeth-Krankenhaus Hörsaalzentrum  (Auditorium Center), Mondays and Tuesdays from 12:00 to 18:00. Please bring your health insurance card and all relevant medical records concerning the pregnancy (or your "Mutterpass").

Please find a midwife for your aftercare in this list.

We also advise you to also contact your health insurance, as our midwives are often booked up for months. An internet search for "Hebamme" and your postcode might also be helpful.

Treatment Costs

Patients who are on a statutory health dare scheme are will be treated in vast majority of medical/dental offices ("Kassenzulassung"). Your health care insurance will cover the treatment costs via your insurance card. Some particular services such as state-of-the-art dentures are not free though. The statutory health insurance subsidizes this treatment, but the patient will have to cover the exceeding costs.

Patients on a private health insurance scheme settle the doctor's invoice themselves and submit it to their insurer, who will transfer the costs - to what extent is a matter of your contract.

If you are on no health care scheme, you will have to cover for your treatment with your own money. Please contact international services for an individual cost estimate.